You probably guessed it, and you are right. This post is about the Parable of the Talents as written in Matthew 25:14-29, and here’s the summary:
- The master leave his servants with varying amount of talents “each according to his ability” (1 talent is about 16 years of salary)
- Those who received larger amounts traded it and doubled their master’s money
- The one who received only one talent hid the money and never used it
- When the master came back and learned of everything, he praised everyone except the one who hid the money
- That one talent was taken away from him
- The unprofitable servant was cast away into the outer darkness
This parable teaches that Christians have various levels of abilities (or gifts from the Holy Spirit), and that all believers are expected to use those gifts for God’s work, else a gloomy consequence awaits.
It is interesting to know that this parable is part of Jesus’ answer to the disciples’ question a few verses back in chapter 24. The question says: “Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?” giving us the fact that this parable was narrated in the context of the end times, our generation.
Jesus was telling us what we ought to do with those talents, from now until His second coming; that is, while we are waiting for Him.
Jesus does not want us to think that our “small” talent have little or no value at all. He can surely multiply them only if we are willing to use them, not by hiding them.
“Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much…” Luke 16:10 NIV.
If we want to excel in poetry, feature writing, blogging, photography, videography, singing, acting, graphic designing or whatever it is we need to start from small. We need to prove to ourselves that God can trust us with that small amount of talent.
However small or big our talent may be, we need to ask ourselves: What am I doing with this talent now? Am I hiding it or using it to spread the Good News here in Bangkok?
The loud cry in Thailand will surely happen soon, are you willing to take part in it?